On April 1, 2012 (no joke!) Wascana Centre Authority officially turned 50 years old! To honour this milestone, we turned all of 2012 into a special year full of celebration activities, events and projects to commemorate our half century of achievements. We were created as, and still are, a unique partnership of three key stakeholders - the Province, the City and the University. Thank you for joining in as we celebrated the vision of those partners!
50th Birthday Celebrations!
- The year of celebrations came to a close with our last event: Wascana's annual reception was held on November 29. That evening we turned on Christmas lights on a tree on Broad Street near Wascana Drive as well as alternating blue and white lights on trees lining the walk from Wascana Drive up to Wascana Place.
- On November 20, 2012 a staff reunion tea was held at Wascana Place for all past and current staff of Wascana Centre Authority. The afternoon was full of stories, laughter and trips down memory lane. View pictures.
- At the Wonders of Wascana Photo Scavenger Hunt on September 22, 2012, teams searched all over Wascana Centre to locate the 'hidden gems' of Wascana! View pictures.
- Between the May long weekend and the September long weekend, complimentary guided boat tours were offered on Friday and Sunday afternoons. Judging by the numbers waiting in line for their turn, the tours were very popular!
- On September 1, 2012 Wascana Centre Authority took part in the Dragon Boat Festival for the first time ever! On land we had a fun zone for kids and handed out 50th Anniversary mini cupcakes to anyone who stopped by. On the water, our month-old team did very well - even winning some of their races. View pictures.
- The Grand Re-opening of the Queen Elizabeth II Gardens on August 12, 2012 was a huge success! View pictures. D'Arcy Schenk, Manager of Forestry & Horticulture, provided guided tours of the newly renovated Queen Elizabeth II Gardens in August as well.
- Wascana Centre set up a display highlighting our past 50 years 'Down Memory Lane' at the Queen City Ex the first week in August. View pictures.
- As part of the Canada Day celebrations in Wascana Centre on July 1, the Regina Mascots (including our very own Digger the Dog) participated in a Canada Day Mascot Challenge.
- The Summer Solstice Soiree was held on June 21, 2012 and Wascana Place hosted a sold out crowd! The fundraising evening included silent and live auctions, served wine & hors d'oeuvres, and a great jazz trio. View pictures.
- In early June, Wascana Centre horticulturalists created a special flower bed to help celebrate and promote our 50th Anniversary. The flower bed faces Broad Street near Wascana Drive and says "Wascana 50 Years" in blue ageratum surrounded by white alyssum.
- On May 29, Wascana Centre staff sailed over to Willow Island for a work day, group picture and wiener roast - fun was had by all! View pictures.
- Wascana Centre's Greenhouse opened its doors to the public, hosting free tours on May 25 & 26. It was a special treat enjoyed by all who attended! View pictures.
- At the Wings Over Wascana (WOW) Nature Festival on May 12, we hosted a 50th Anniversary Pancake Breakfast. View pictures.
- In honour of our 50th Anniversary, Wascana Centre staff decorated a table at MacKenzie Art Gallery's annual Art in Bloom event.
- On May 2nd, we celebrated the Grand Re-opening of the Waterfowl Park Display Ponds with staff, volunteers, the public and the press. The best part was showing off the first goslings of the season that had just hatched earlier in the day! View pictures.
- On April 2 a birthday party was held for the staff of Wascana Centre Authority.
- Our 50th Birthday Party took place on Sunday, April 1st at Wascana Place. Hundreds came out and joined in the celebrations! Read all about it or view pictures.
- Leading up to the semi-annual Regina Federation of Artists Art Show & Sale in March (and again in November) and to help celebrate Wascana Centre's 50th Anniversary, an Artist in Residence program took place the week leading up to each event. The public were invited to view and interact with the artists at work on pieces related to Wascana Centre.
- Prairie Pond Hockey Challenge and Wascana IceCycle - These events were held in February and began the 50-day countdown to our 50th birthday on April 1, 2012! Read The Leader Post article and view pictures of the events.
- At Wascana Centre's Annual Reception in January, we announced our 50th Birthday on April 1, 2012 and revealed our 50th Birthday logo!
Wascana Centre Authority Photo History!
Some of the early days of Wascana Centre Authority are pictured below...
We Want to Hear from You!
Share your memories of Wascana! Submit your photos or stories online by emailing us or drop by Wascana Place at 2900 Wascana Drive. We’d love to hear from you!
Memories of Wascana Centre!
We've asked for your memories, stories and pictures of Wascana Centre over the last 50 years, and you've delivered!
- We lived in Regina from 1956 to 1961 when I was 5-10 years old. My mother would take my sisters and me to Wascana Park for picnics. We would "swim" in the paddling pool there, but our favorite pastime was collecting snails and minnows in jars to take home as "pets". I still think of Wascana with fond memories. It was the best that summer could offer. - Monica B.
- When my children were younger, my husband and I would prepare a picnic and take a blanket and frisbee / ball. All of us would set out a blanket on the lush grass, usually by the museum and have a beautiful family picnic. We had such great times. - Paula L.
- I remember crossing the lake to Willow Island and marrying my wife on the island on a beautiful, sunny, summer day (August 18, 1973). - Lorne T.
- When I first came to Regina in July 1972, I played tourist and went all around the park. I even fed the geese! I now live 3 1/2 blocks from Wascana Park and try to get there often. - Pat M.
- My father worked for Wascana Centre Authority in the park in the 60s. He remembers when the first couple of geese were brought in. In those days you could picnic on the shores of Wascana Lake in the lush grass. Now it is a marsh. Those were the good old days. - Unknown
- I like going to Wascana Park with my brother and my dad. He would push us on the swings for a long time. I am 6 years old and my brother is 8 years old. - Rhyanna
Over the next year during Wascana Centre's 50th Anniversary (April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013), a running list of all the birds and mammals observed within Wascana Centre will be recorded. Visit the Bird & Mammal Challenge page for more information and to view the running lists.
Wascana Centre Authority's 50th in pictures!
Here are some of the highlights of our 50th birthday party and the special events that took place in our 50th anniversary year! (Click on each picture to view a larger version of it.)
Copyright ©2009 Wascana Centre | All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted by